Sunday, May 16, 2010

Day 43: Why do we pretend things are ok?

Why do we lie to ourselves in this way?

There is power in recognizing what is not ok and dealing with it truthfully.

Contemplate how you make things ok before they are ok, and the reason(s) why.


It must be a coping mechanism. I think sometimes it is our minds way of protecting us from collapse/breakdown. Sometimes, if we could accurately appreciate the reality of certain situations we'd crack, we collapse under the weight of it all, all at once.

I'm not one to want to live in a delusion. But I recognize that sometimes there are things I can't fully process or appreciate at a given moment in time. However, over time, I become increasingly able to accurately accept things as they are. Sometimes it just takes time.

I do agree that unless you truthfully acknowledge the things in your life that aren't as you want them to be, you cannot make progress on getting them where you DO want them to be.

So I guess there is a bit of a dichotomy.

1 comment:

  1. "You can't change what you don't acknowledge."
    The truth will set you free if you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete