Monday, June 21, 2010

Day 50: You are the rest of mankind

Can you see yourself as the rest of mankind? That much demand is imposed on you? That much honor and grandness? However you are represents the whole of humanity.

See yourself as the one who has taken responsibility for shaping humanity, by you shaping you.


Powerful. Imagine, by my actions, responses, values, virtues, attitudes, and so on, I could direct and shape the future of mankind.

It seems so grandiose. But, as I think about it, we all actually do have this power. It's daunting. My best intentions tend to shrivel under notions like: what kind of difference can I REALLY make? I'm just one person after all. And sometimes, these musing take the a dark turn into: why should I be the one to uphold some higher moral standard? If no one else is doing it, what's the point? And: My life would be easier if I just coast along like every one else.

I know, and I think we all do--on some level, that we are shaping, re-shaping, creating, and re-creating our world. Living with that awareness makes me live differently, makes me feel responsible.

Anger is not an option, hatred is not an option, lies are not an option, cheating is not an option.
Love wins.

No comments:

Post a Comment